Climate: Considered humid subtropical (Cfa) on the Köppen Climate Classification system, Baldwin City has hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters.
As of the census of 2010, there were 4,515 people, 1,501 households, and 1,011 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,723.3 inhabitants per square mile (665.4/km2). There were 1,665 housing units at an average density of 635.5 per square mile (245.4/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 93.4% White, 2.1% African American, 0.7% Native American, 0.5% Asian, 0.6% from other races, and 2.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.0% of the population.
There were 1,501 households of which 37.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.6% were married couples living together, 10.2% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.5% had a male householder with no wife present, and 32.6% were non-families. 26.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 3.08.
The median age in the city was 30.2 years. 24.3% of residents were under the age of 18; 20.9% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 22.9% were from 25 to 44; 20.1% were from 45 to 64; and 11.9% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 48.5% male and 51.5% female.
Statistics for: cost of living, real estate/construction, building permits, major employers, labor force), Taxes (corporate income tax; retail sales tax—state, county, city; individual; property tax—residential, mill levy), and transportation coming soon!
Interested in starting a business in Baldwin City?
- The Chamber, the City of Baldwin City, and Baldwin City’s Economic Development Corporation work together to provide you the information you need. Contact Jeannette, call 785-594-3200, or stop by the Chamber office, located at 715 High Street.
- Check out Business Resources & Development
- Find a Commercial Realtor —our Chamber member realtor, Kirsten Flory—Colliers International is the best! Email Kirsten or call 785-865-5100.
Welcome to Baldwin City and Douglas County! Moving to a new home involves a lot of details. You have to connect all the utilities, find a doctor, register your vehicle, enroll the kids in school and find a gym and other community/civic opportunities. We have gathered links to many of the services you will need to make relocation easier.
Need to find a home?
- Find a Realtor. Our Chamber member realtors are the best!
Looking to rent?
Visit the Economic Development Corporation’s List of Contacts for rental properties including single family homes, townhomes/duplexes, apartments, senior citizen retirement and mobile home lots/spaces for rent.
Jim & Diane Niehoff
Living Space LLC
715 High St Suite A
Baldwin City, KS 66006
PO Box 455
Just moved in? Start here…
- Visit your Chamber, 715 High Street! We are genuinely interested in welcoming you to Baldwin City, finding you the resources you need and sharing information with you about our community.
- Get in the Know…sign up for Chamber community news blast. These Friday electronic newsletters provide information on upcoming community events, activities and happenings. Contact Lynn at firstname.lastname@example.org, 785-594-3200
- Get Hooked Up….find information on utilities and codes at City Hall, 803 Eighth Street, 785-594-6427. Electric, water and sewer are services provided the City of Baldwin City. Find out more:
Get to know your City
Meet your City Council – Attend a City Council meeting! City Council meets every first and third Tuesday, 7:00 pm, Baldwin City Public Library, 800 7th Street
Trash Service – 1-800-494-3227, Baldwin City contracts trash service with Ottawa Sanitation Service. Trash day for properties north of High Street are on Mondays, south of High Street are on Wednesdays.
Gas Service – Kansas Gas Service, 1-800-794-4780
Vehicle Registration – Visit the Douglas County Treasurer
- Old West Storage, 1704 High Street, Baldwin City, KS 66006, 785-418-2770, email@example.com
Accommodations: Hotel/Bed and Breakfast
Media & News
Baldwin City is served with highest quality health care providers:
- Lawrence Memorial Hospital Family Medical Practice
- LMH Therapy Services
- Dr. Cristina Goodwin, Ransom Memorial Hospital
- Baldwin City Dental
- Elite Chiropractic
- Rodrock Chiropractic
- Epic Vision Center
Baldwin City Public Schools – Baldwin City is served by USD 348
Baldwin City Chamber Member Churches
Get involved by volunteering! It’s the best way to meet new people and engage with your community. From local events to boards and commissions, if you’ve got the passion, we’ve got the resources to connect you.
Clubs and Organizations
- Baldwin City Chamber of Commerce, luncheon 2nd Wednesday of each month, 12-1 Lumberyard Arts Center
- Baldwin City Young Professionals
- Baldwin City Rotary, meets first and third Wednesdays, 12-1 Lumberyard Arts Center
- Baldwin City Lions Club, meets 2nd & 4th Monday, 7pm Vintage Park
- Baldwin City Business & Professional Women, meets first Tuesdays/month, 7:00 pm, Baldwin City Recreation Commission
- Baldwin City Garden Connection
- Maple Leaf Festival Committee, 1st Thursday/month, 7pm at Baldwin City Library
- American Legion
- Friends of the Library
- Maple Leaf Quilters Guild, meets the 4th Thursday of the month, January through October, at 7:00 p.m. in the Library