Congratulations to the Chamber Award Banquet Winners!
February 27, 2020. Stony Point Hall. Baldwin City, Kansas
It is so nice when our community comes together for any celebration. Celebrating business in Baldwin City, is no exception. The Baldwin City Chamber of Commerce hosted another successful Banquet complete with a delicious dinner served by Maceli’s, a silent auction featuring items donated by local businesses, and an awards ceremony that highlighted the people and places that make our town special.
The Baldwin City Chamber is committed to our business community and our 188 members that are the core of a vibrant community and to a strong Chamber of Commerce. 2020 is a celebratory year in Baldwin City as we turn 150 years old and our business community has much to celebrate:
- Baldwin City is the home of 2 business that achieved the Kansas Governor’s Award of Excellence. This is the highest business award the State of Kansas recognizes. In 2018 – McFarland Aviation and 2019 – Morningstar Care Homes received this award.
- The Chamber welcomed 19 new businesses into our community in 2019 including the opening of the Baldwin City Business Center with Baldwin City Economic Development Corporation.
- We celebrated the growth of Mid America Bank with their Gardner branch.
- Rice Precision Manufacturing expanded operations and opened a facility in Houston, TX.
- Quilter’s Paradise celebrated its 30th anniversary and Sharon Vesecky led the successful charge for Baldwin City to be officially recognized as the Quilt Capital of Kansas.
- “Route 56 Celebration” was launched to celebrate our Highway 56 businesses from west to east expanding from Marion Springs Event Center to Heritage Tractor and Voight’s Farm.
- In 2019, we provided 42 member events reaching 1,113 participants. The Chamber Young Professionals held the first annual Easter Egg Hunt benefitting the Community Emergency Fund. And we directed 7 community events with our Wine & Brew doubling revenue from 2018.
- The chamber leads the communication efforts for Baldwin City tourism with “Destination Baldwin City” that brings together the business community on a monthly basis to develop and coordinate Baldwin City events. Coming in 2020 is “Live on High – Third Fridays Baldwin City” with the goal to eat, shop and play in downtown Baldwin City.
- We continued to direct 2 programs that seek to grown 21st century skills and leadership capacity: The Workforce Career and Development program – in partnership with USD #348 and Leadership Douglas County, a partnership with the Douglas County Community Foundation.
The first presentation given for the night recognized the dedication and commitment of exiting Chamber Board members Phil Hannon, Jake Wright (absent), and Clint Kueffer (absent).
Chamber President Jeremy Rodrock presents the Partnership Award to the City of Baldwin City.
The Chamber thanks the leadership of the City for the development of Sullivan Square and the vision to realize a downtown creative and innovation hub in the heart of downtown. In partnership with the City, we facilitated 2 candidate forums and welcomed our new City Council members – Scott Lauridsen, Cory Venable, Julie Constantinescu. In 2019, the Chamber worked with the City to realize the Community Visioning Plan that recognizes the importance of celebrating and instilling small business and entrepreneurial culture in Baldwin City by understanding the needs of a growing business capacity, strategically targeting business growth and workforce development as well as strengthening further the momentum of downtown business vitality.
Excellence in Education
Dr. David Yoo, USD #348
“Not every teacher is capable of giving individual attention and education, but he has perfected it! He is great with one-on-one help and group help. He is passionate about education and helping others. Not only does he encourage them, but he also attends their sporting events to cheer them on. Dr. Yoo really cares about the kids and their education.”
Community Service Award
“He’s devoted countless hours over the last few years to numerous community organizations. He is responsive to citizens and genuinely listens to their needs and concerns. Brian was instrumental in leading the planning and implementation of the 2019 Douglas County Youth Entrepreneurship Challenge by his service on Douglas County E-Community.”
Outstanding City Employee
“Delbert always has a smile on his face and is always working hard for this city. He does many jobs and is a familiar face to many in the community. He clears the roads and works when others don’t. Delbert consistently goes above and beyond! He is always willing to do everything he can to help anyone.”
Outstanding Young Professional
“Niki does an amazing job of being an excellent example of a business owner in the community. She also does great community outreach. Niki has put the Young Professionals group on the map with her idea and hard work in the first ever ‘Adult Easter Egg Hunt’. She goes up and beyond anything chamber or Young Professionals-related.”
“It is nice to have a full service hardware store in our city! Enjoy going in there knowing someone knows exactly what I need and where to get it. Kent has really put his heart into it and has trained his employees to perfection. They are big on supporting local and they go above and beyond for you.”
Business of the Year
Sara Castaneda – Jitters Coffee
“Sara cares more about high quality and an excellent product than she does about making money. Jitters has the best coffee in town in my opinion, but beyond that, they have an owner who cares enough to get it right every single time and give back to the community in simple ways every day. Although she is extremely busy she takes time out of her day to help people. “
Thanks to our Sponsors
Full Table Sponsors: Baker University, Baldwin City Recreation Commission, Baldwin State Bank, City of Baldwin, Kansas State Bank, McFarlane Aviation, Mid America Bank
Half Table Sponsors: Morningstar Care Homes and Rodrock Chiropractic
Award Sponsor: McFarlane Aviation
Social Hour Sponsors: Baldwin State Bank, Kansas State Bank, Mid-America Bank
Decorations: In Full Bloom at the Cranberry Market
Servers: Baker Volleyball & Baseball Teams
Stony Point Hall: Lucretia & Russell Carlson
We look forward to celebrating with you all again next year!!