Thanks to all for participating in the 2018 Festival of Lights Parade and adding a huge amount of holiday cheer for our community. What makes community events special is the collaboration with the people in our community that strengthens our connections with one another and collectively builds community resiliency and pride at many scales–AND makes Baldwin City a fantastic place to call home.
The 2018 Festival of Lights Parade included 13 float entries and the participation of Mayor Simoneau, the Baldwin City Police Department and Baldwin City Fire Department and Palmyra Fire Department. The parade rolled out at 6:00 pm with Santa arriving downtown on a historic fire engine and ready to greet the kids. Thanks to the City of Baldwin City, the parade concluded with fireworks.
Parade Grand Marshal – McFarlane Aviation, 2018 Kansas Governor’s Business Excellence Awardee.
- Partnership with the City–To the many folks at the City–Mayor Simoneau, Glenn Rodden, Laura Hartman, Brad Smith, Rob Culley, Chris Croucher, Terry Baker, Public Works Crew, Police Department–the event wouldn’t happen without you!
- Partnership with BCRC–Whitney Gillman We start planning in July and continue working for five months to put on the event.
- Xtream Medicaom–OUR SPONSORS–from making our parade video to providing the cash prizes, and creating a float- thanks for investing in Baldwin City!
- KSB and BSB — George McCrary and Bryan Butell – FREE refreshments in the rain! Thank you for adding an extra special dimension.
- Our AWESEME announcers – you’re booked for life– Leigh Anne Bathke and Doug Cheek.
- Our AWESOME barricade volunteers – Jana Craig Hare, Sean Hare, Ginny Honomicle, Cat Henry – you’re also booked for life.
- Floyd Schmidt – FIREWORKS without a hitch 🙂
- Dan Harris – The best “Danta” ever! Despite the soaking suit, you stayed on for pictures with the kids–THANK YOU!
- Shpendi LLuhani, Rodrock Chiropractic- Thank you for jumping in at the last minute to provide our ride for the Mayor and his family!
- AND FINALLY…to the businesses, nonprofits and individuals for taking the time to create your floats and spend your Saturday evening truly making the parade! You are winners.
Speaking of winners:
- Youth First Prize: Ventures 1065 Boy Scouts
- Youth Second Prize: Baldwin Academy of Dance and Voice
- Youth Third Prize: Boy Scouts of America Baldwin City Troop
- Business First Prize: McFarlane Aviation. Thanks for supporting the Community Emergency Fund!
- Adult Second Prize (tie): Charlie/Susan Baker Family and Xtreme
- Business Third Prize: Baldwin State Bank
Photo Credit: Frank Perez