Career Connections….because students are the workforce of the future
Career Connections is a partnership between the Chamber and Baldwin Junior High School as part of USD 348/Chamber’s Career and Youth Workforce Development Program beginning Fall 2018. Every first Wednesday of the month from September to May, a local business will share their story to students in the junior high school. The program’s multifaceted goals include bringing awareness about the Baldwin City businesses, educating students about careers and the knowledge and skills required as well as providing an opportunity for direct interaction between students and local business people. The program is open to all BJHS students as well as the general public.
SEPTEMBER 2018: Mike Bosch, Founder/CEO RG Fiber
RG Fiber is the country’s first operational software-driven fiber optic network. We launched our proof-of-concept in May of 2015 in Baldwin City, Kansas. We design, build, operate, and maintain our network with 4 differentiators: reliability, speed, affordability, and neighborly service.
RG Fiber continues to make a impact in the quality of life for the communities they serve.
- Remodeled one of Baldwin’s oldest buildings, the Osborn Building at 713 High Street
- Maintained greater than 99.9% reliability
- Speeds up to 100x the industry average
- Competitive pricing
- WiFi speeds over 800Mbps
- A customer waiting list of over 2,000
- A NPS (net promoter score) of 74 against an industry average of 16.*
- A network of over 12.5 million fiber-feet throughout Douglas County
- A Board of Directors established with executives from K&W Underground, Zillow, and Black and Veatch
OCTOBER 2018: Brad Price with Joanna Vesecky, McFarlane Aviation
The founder, Dave McFarlane, created McFarlane Aviation in 1970. McFarlane Aviation Products designs and manufactures thousands of different quality FAA-PMA parts for Cessna, Piper, Grumman, Beechcraft and Ag Cat aircraft. McFarlane products are engineered to be superior in quality, have a longer service life and still be more affordable than the corresponding OEM aircraft parts. In addition to McFarlane aircraft parts, we also distribute many quality replacement aircraft parts for other manufacturers.
Brad runs McFarlane’s machine and tooling shop for the last 13 years. He leads and coaches 22 people throughout the 6 departments of the Machine Shop: Mills, Lathes, Swiss, Sheet Metal, Tooling and Dies, Inspection.
- 35 yrs experience in Aerospace/Defense Manufacturing.
- 30 yrs Supervisory Experience.
- Applications Engineer at Large Machine Tool Distributer.
- Process Engineer working on Major Aircraft Manufacturer and US Government Defense projects.
Brad’s teaching experience includes:
- Intro and Advanced Machining at JCCC.
- CNC Operation and Programming at Large Machine Tool Distributer.
- Intro to Machining at Peaslee Tech in Lawrence.
- On the job training for apprentice machinist at McFarlane Aviation Products.