The Lumberyard Arts Center is a unique and historic community arts center in charming Downtown Baldwin City.
We host a variety of gallery shows, classes, and public and private events.
Come see us for an artwalk, class, or gallery show—we love making new friends!
The Lumberyard Arts Center, Inc. is the cornerstone for visual and performing arts in our community.We enhance the quality of life in a unique and historic gathering place in the heart of downtown Baldwin City by offering classes for children and adults, gallery exhibits and a public and private events venue.
EVOLUTION & GROWTH
Our volunteers and supporters are central to everything we do. With funding for the LAC secured in 2003, volunteers dug out the dirt floor inside the building at the beginning of renovations in 2006. Volunteers have literally built the Lumberyard from the ground up.
Phase I of our project was completed in 2010 with our gallery, classrooms, offices, kitchen, and community gathering space in the front half of our building. The arts center was run by 100% volunteers until June 2017, when we hired our first part-time employee, Coordinator Wendy Conover.
With the hire of our first employee, it’s a time of growth and evolution at the arts center. Classes, camps, and workshops are enrolling now, with opportunities for preschoolers though senior citizens. We are working on building organizational capacity and preparing for Phase II of our project, a 184-seat theater to be located in the back half of our building. You can become a Member and enjoy exciting new benefits for individuals, families and corporate partners.
Did you know the Lumberyard Arts Center:
- Offered over 15 unique gallery exhibits in the past two years.
- Partnered with USD 348 to exhibit student artwork and bring unique learning opportunities to local youth.
- Funded $8,000 in college scholarships to Baldwin High School students in the past two years.
- Generated more than $4,000 in sales for artists at the 2017 Holiday Art-A-Fair.
- Created over 50 opportunities for artists to create and commune via Open Studio and Artist Mixers last year.
- Regularly draws visitors from Lawrence, Kansas City and beyond.
- Provides hundreds of hours of free art opportunities to local children with over 1,000 art projects made in the past two years.
We love the people of Baldwin City and especially enjoy being a cornerstone of our vibrant Downtown.